April 29, 2015

Cinco de Mayo Inspired Graphic Tee - 2 Ways

Graphic tees are all the rage right now, and I am absolutely loving this trend. The fun and quirky sayings on all of the shirts I've seen around always make me smile, and I thought it was about time I start sporting this look myself. Not only are these shirts remarkably easy to make, but they are highly customizable too! I decided that I needed a couple of tops that represented my love for Mexican food, and with Cinco de Mayo coming up, how could I not? Read on to see the two ways in which I created my graphic shirts...

-T-shirt
-Iron-on letters
-Iron
-Press cloth (any lightweight cotton fabric)
-Scissors (depending on what type of iron on letters you have)


Decided what you would like your t-shirt to say.  I chose the phrase "tacos please" because I'm always craving tacos! Depending on which type of iron on letters you bought, you may or may not have to cut around the letters (some packs have the letters you can just peel right off.)
Lay out your letters on the shirt. (As you can see, I had to cut around my letters, as described in the previous step.)
Heat your iron to the cotton setting, making sure the steam is turned off. Carefully lay a press cloth over the letters, making sure not to shift any out of place. Iron over the letters according to the package directions.
Now you're ready to party! 


-White t-shirt (it is best to have a smooth, soft shirt for this version)
-Fabric paint
-Fine paintbrush
-Iron
-Holy Guacamole Template (or any other custom word template)
-Printer
-Tape

Print out the 'holy guacamole" template, or you can choose to customize your own. If designing your own, I would recommend the letters be in a thicker font, and filled in with black. Once you have your saying all printed out, cover it with a layer of clear tape.
Insert the piece of paper with your saying on it between the layers of your shirt. After this step you may also want to tape your shirt down to your work surface so it does not shift as you work on it. Use a fine paintbrush to paint over the letters with your fabric paint. Allow it to dry for a couple of hours, and then iron according to paint bottle directions.
There you have it, another custom graphic tee, perfect for any fiesta! 


Comment below and tell me what you would want your graphic shirt to say! And if you decided to make your own, I would love to see how it turned out so share your photos and make sure to tag your creations with #wearthecraft on Instagram!

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...