October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween from One Very Vintage Brownie Girl Scout

Happy Halloween! Today is one of my favorites days of the year, and even though I have work all day, I'm still really excited. I usually start thinking of a costume to make for Halloween a few months in advance, but this year I was insanely busy with work and the vintage market I was selling at two weeks ago. I knew I had to come up with something though, because last year was the first time I did not wear a costume, and it was such a sad day. 
I started brainstorming a few days ago what I could possibly be. I really wanted to be Princess Amalthea from The Last Unicorn, but I could not get it all together. Plus, the wigs at the party store are atrocious! I started digging through my closets and found this really ugly vintage dress that always reminded me of the movie Troop Beverly Hills. I realized I could easily make a vintage girl scout uniform from it, so that's what I went with. I had everything I needed too, which made the decision easier.
I chopped off the sleeves of the dress and took them in a little bit, then shortened the hemline. I added the number 5 patch on the sleeve, and then accessorized it to make it look a little more authentic. I made the neck tie from scrap fabric I had, wrapped some stretchy fabric around the waist to act as a belt, and made the"badges" from felt and vintage buttons. Luckily, I had the beret sitting around waiting to be added to my Etsy shop. I think it turned out rather cute!

What are you dressing up as today? Comment below to share your costume!

xxoo Jené

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...