July 15, 2014

Fresh Flower Crown How To

I know I have done a number of floral crown and headband tutorials here on my blog, but how can I not? I just love them so much! This time is a little different though, because I decided to work with fresh flowers. I had never worked with fresh flowers to create hair accessories before. I found out that it's really fun, and even though real flowers don't last as long as fake ones, I personally like them more, because they add such a delicate and dreamy touch. Learn how to create your own fresh flower crown below...

Supplies:
-Fresh flowers
-Floral wire
-Floral tape 
-Scissors

1. Measure the circumference of your head where you would like your crown to sit, and cut a length of wire double that measurement. Create a wire loop the size of your head, and then wrap the remaining wire around the loop again for extra stability. 2. Cut your flowers, leaving about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of stem. 3. Starting at the center front of your crown, place one of your flowers onto the wire, and use the floral tape to attach it to the crown base. Place another flower next to the first one, and wrap tape around the stem to attach it as well. Continue this process to achieve your desired look. 4. I alternated blue Hydrangeas and Baby's Breath all the way around my crown, but you can use any variety of flowers you like. If you want a full floral crown, add the flowers going in the same direction around the wire base. If you want your crown to only have flowers on the front and sides, then attach the front flower, finish each side separately, and just cover the exposed wire in the back with floral tape.
It is a little time consuming to do a full crown, but I just love how lush it looks! I also want to mention that this is pretty much only good for a one time use. I made my crown the night before I took these photos, and stored it in a large Ziploc bag, with a a tiny bit of water sprinkled on top, in the fridge. After wearing it for a few hours, the petals were pretty much frail and limp from the summer heat, and the natural oil in my hair.
These crowns are perfect for parties, weddings, photo shoots, and just for fun! Possibilities are really endless, and once you get a hang of  making them, it just gets easier! Plus, you can save so much money making your own, opposed to buying them from a florist.

xxoo Jené

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...