May 10, 2014

Tulle Overalls DIY

Hello, lovelies! I am so excited to share this tutorial with you today. I've been wanting to make these tulle tutu overalls for an awfully long time, but I had to wait so long to do it because my quest to find overalls took forever. I was really excited when I finally found a couple of pairs at the thrift store. I am sad however, that I could not find a pair that actually fit my size. But I'll just consider this a test run before making myself some that doesn't float around me. If you want to learn to make your own tulle overalls, read the how-to below...
Supplies: overalls, tulle fabric, lining fabric, tape measure, pins, scissors, thread, sewing machine (not pictured.) 1. Mark a straight line with pins where you want to cut your overalls. I measured down 1/2" from the first side button for my cut line. 2. Cut out your tulle and lining fabrics. I cut 4 tulle fabrics measuring 54" wide by 20.5" long, and 2 lining fabrics measuring 55" wide by 19.5" long. 3. For each piece of tulle you cut out, sew a basting stitch 1/4" down from the top, and then gather. For each lining piece of fabric, finish the side seams with either a serger or zigzag stitch. Then, using an iron, press a half inch seam allowance down to the wrong side of the fabric. Do the same from the bottom hem once the sides are done. Finish the lining pieces with a basting stitch 1/4" down from the top, and gather. *tip: make sure you leave the 1/2" side seams of the lining pressed down when basting and gathering. 4. With rights sides together, layer the edges of your tulle and lining pieces to the front edge of the overalls where you made the cut line. Make sure all the layers are evenly gathered, and that the width of your fabrics are the same as the overalls. Pin into place. Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew down with a regular stitch. Repeat for the back. 5. Sew the side edges of your lining at a 1/2" seam allowance, where you previously pressed, making sure to leave a gap at the top (I left a 6" opening.) Once both side seams of the lining are sewn, re-press and stitch down the bottom hem. 
I love the rugged and feminine feel that this project exudes! I think it's perfect for a girly-girl who still has a rough side. I chose to play it safe by using white tulle and lining, but I think it would be super fun if you used a bright color of tulle, or even a contrasting lining color. I'm really hoping I can find some overalls that are a little more snug on me, so I can recreate this look to fit me better. Maybe next time I'll do a color combo that's a little more funky. I'm thinking a bright magenta or yellow would look amazing! What do you think?

xxoo Jené

2 comments:

  1. Great!! I´m looking forward to do a tulle tutu skirt in my sewing classes!! :-) Very creative post and you look cute with the overalls.

    www.kikabibi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun sewing it up in your class! Tulle skirts are always fun to make.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...