September 26, 2013

Constellation Art DIY

I moved into my house about seven months ago, and have been very (and I mean very) slowly trying to decorate all of the rooms. Making our home actually feel like "home" has been one huge ongoing process. Mostly because we went from a tiny two bedroom apartment, to a a rather large four bedroom house. The living area has been the most challenging for me to decorate, but I have finally decided I want to cover all the walls with art prints and paintings. Seeing as I only have a measly three pieces of art hanging in that room now, I thought it was about time for me to start making my own to hang on the walls. That's where I got the inspiration to make this constellation art. 
 Supplies: Canvas, Black paint, Gold paint, Paint brushes, Gold card stock, Glue, Pencil, Star Template, Scissors
 1. Paint your canvas black. I used Martha Stewart Multi-surface High Gloss Acrylic in Beetle Black. 
2. Print and cut out the star template. Trace the stars onto the back of your gold card stock. The number you will need depends on what constellation you have chosen. I chose the little dipper, so I only needed 14 (8 small, 6 large.) 3. Cut out the stars.
4. Glue one star on top of another one, forming a 10 pointed star. 
5. Lay out the stars onto your canvas to form your constellation. When you are happy with their placement, mark a dot on the back so you know where they go when gluing. 6. Glue the stars on to the canvas.
7. Use a small, fine tipped paintbrush to connect the stars. I used Martha Stewart Multi-surface Acrylic Paint in Gold. tip: use painters tape to create smooth clean lines.  
I now have a little less empty wall space in my living room, which makes me oh-so-happy! Plus, this project even inspired me to sort of make another little piece of art to go along side of it, which is pictured on the bottom left!

xxoo Jené

6 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I'm trying to fill my walls with art right now too. It's tough to find the right pieces, especially when your budget is...free. So craft on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I know! Finding "free" art is so hard! My budget is so tight with everything these days! But, I've always believed in working with what you have, so I guess it kind of evens out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love this! Especially against the brick. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea!! - I really love all of your ideas and your pictures!
    I enjoy going through your post, they are so lovely!!
    sisepuedee.blogspot.dk
    -Milla ♡

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...