November 30, 2012

Fabric Tape DIY

I have had one roll of washi tape that I was religiously using to spruce up packages and present. Unfortunately, I just ran out and haven't had a chance to shop for more locally. So instead of forgoing prettily taped packages all together, I decided to create my own fabric tape.

I thought it would be really fun to try to create my own decorative tape, and seeing as I already had all of the materials I needed for this craft, I knew it was a must try! I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I have a huge problem throwing away fabric scraps. I just can't stand to see pretty material go to waste, and I think this project is the key to preventing my lovely scraps from ending up in a landfill. Plus, I really like the texture of the fabric apposed to the squeaky clean sheen of some washi tapes out there.

1. Supplies: Foam paint brush, Scissors, Mod Podge; Scrap Fabric, Wax Paper or plastic transparent sheets. 2. Lay out a decent size piece of wax paper. Cut stripes of masking tape just shorter than the length of your wax paper, and tape them down. Smooth them out to make sure there are no air bubbles trapped underneath. You will also want to leave at least an inch between strips of tape. 3. Cut your fabric scraps into long strips, just a bit wider than your masking tape. 4. Now you will start working with one strip at a time. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the top of one piece of masking tape. 5. Lay a strip of fabric on top and smooth out with your fingers to make sure there are no air bubbles. Continue to glue and apply fabric to the rest of the strips of tape. 6. *Optional* These particular pieces of tape were made for the outside of a mail package. I decided to coat the top of the fabric with a thin layer of Mod Podge to prevent any wear or damage to the tape. Applying the Mod Podge on top makes the tape a bit stiffer, so don't do this step if you want a softer fabric feel. 7. Wait a couple of hours until the strips are completely dry. Flip the wax paper over, and cut along the edges of each piece of original tape. This will remove the excess fabric and wax paper.

Tip: I used these strips within the first day of making them, and they worked beautifully. I did however have some difficulties with removing the wax paper a few days down the road. I have not tried it yet, but would recommend using transparent plastic sheets instead of the wax paper if you don't intend to use them right away. Also, remember less is more when it comes to Mod Podge. Using too much can distort the quality and color. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...