November 09, 2012

DIY Pom Pom Sweater

Fall is definitely in full effect, and I could not be more excited to start layering on sweaters! This season I am all about the polka dots and pom poms. Here's a cute DIY that will transform a bland sweater into a three dimensional polka dot party...

 Supplies: Plain sweater (I got mine at the thrift store!), pom poms, hand needle + thread, scissors

1. Start with the front. Lay your sweater out flat on a table. Arrange your pom poms in the pattern you like most. These little balls like to roll around while sewing, so you may want to take a few photos to remember your pattern. 2. Starting at the bottom, sew each individual pom pom with your hand needle and thread.I like to thread my needle with a long piece of string, and then tie both ends into one knot - I find it makes the stitch stronger. Push your needle and thread through the center of the pom pom, and then down through your sweater. Continue sewing the pom pom  from the wrong side of the fabric, like you would a shank button. Make sure to only catch half way through the pom pom so you don'tr distort the spherical shape. Once it's on there tight enough, tie a knot and cut the excess thread. Repeat with the back side of your sweater. 

Ta-da! Now you have an adorable sweater that is uniquely your own. This project will help you rock the polka dot trend for fall, but  in your own distinguished style!


6 comments:

  1. Oh my...SUPER cute! I want to do one where there's more as goes towards the bottom so it looks like falling snow. Or should it be more towards the top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I think either way would look awesome! Let me know if you end up making one! I'd love to see it

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a lovely idea! I actually have some pompoms in the house, so I might just use them :) I love the white and gray combo you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so amazing I just have to do this!

    stylehuntingclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so amazing I just have to do this!

    stylehuntingclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jene,

    What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of polka dot crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/polka-craft-projects/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...