July 17, 2012

Summer Kiwi Wristlet



I think fruit is just the cutest thing - well, at least fruit shaped objects are! I always find myself coming back to make fruit inspired crafts. This project is no different. I wanted to make a fun summer wristlet, and I thought a kiwi would make the perfect design for it. It turned out so precious, I could just eat it right up!

Materials:
-Black paint
-Clear drying craft/fabric glue (optional)
-Fabric - green for outer, and one for lining.
-Interfacing
-Iron
-Paper
-Pencil
-Regular pencil
-Ribbon (optional)
-Ruler
-Scissors
-Sewing machine
-Tape
-Thread
-White embroidery floss & needle
-White Felt
-Zipper


1. Use a ruler and a pencil to draw the shape of your kiwi on to a piece of paper. Mine was 7 1/8" long and 4" high in the center. Tip* I like to mark my center first and then fold the paper on that line to ensure I get an even, balanced design when I draw and cut out. Draw, and cut out, the template for the inner white part of the kiwi as well. 2. Add 1/2" seam allowance on all sides of both pieces, and cut out.

3. Cut out your fabric. You will need: 2 big green pieces; 2 big lining pieces (it can be the same green color, or a fun print); 2 big pieces of interfacing; and 2 small pieces of felt. 4. Sew your felt the the green pieces, making sure that they are centered with each other. Either sew, or iron on your interfacing (this depends on which type you purchase) to the back side of your lining pieces.

5.  With your white embroidery thread and needle, make some lines coming out from the center. Tip* You can do small stitches and connect them, or one long stitch and glue the underside of it down with your craft glue. 6. Dip the end of your regular school pencil into your black paint, and stamp circles onto the fabric. Make sure to put some paper or cardboard under each piece so the paint doesn't bleed through and ruin something. You may also want to practice before executing.

7. Place your two lining, and outer fabrics, right sides together. Press the seam allowance in on the top as a sewing guide. Sew each side to the zipper. 8. Open the zipper halfway, and place right sides of the purse together. Sew the outer edges, going over each end of the zipper. Notch the seam allowance every half an inch (to but not through your stitching,) and then either cut off your excess seam allowance and zig-zag stitch the edge, or just cut it with pinking shears.

9. Flip your wristlet right sides out. You may have to play around with it and push it from the inside to get a smooth, round shape. Close the zipper and press with an iron.  10. Attach a piece of ribbon or your own homemade strap to the zipper. You can sew, or glue the ends of it together to make a loop.






4 comments:

  1. This is SO cute!
    Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is absolutely adorable! I pinned it into my pinterest board, definitely one of my favorite diy ever ^-^

    Love * Monstros no Armário

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I am in love with it. I want to try to make one with a fleece or felt lining, so it's a little bit sturdier! Let me know if you try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty. I'll surely try this. Hopefully I can make exactly as yours. Thanks for sharing!


    Mother of Bride Dresses

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...