July 02, 2012

Embroidery Hoop Pinboard


I've been slowly sprucing up my studio,adding touches of homemade decor here and there. I had an old pushpin board that I tried to makeover, and use as a centerpiece of one wall. It ended up not being useful at all, after experimenting with it. I knew I wanted to make my next inspiration/memo board, and was just waiting to find the perfect frame. I ended up coming across this gigantic embroidery hoop at the thrift store. It was like a gorgeous gemstone; just glistening from under a pile of junk. I instantly knew I had to use it for my  pinboard. I think it came out great, and I can not wait to fill it up with work memos and pictures!


Supplies:
-Embroidery hoop
-Fabric
-Foam board
-Foam paintbrush
-Hot glue gun
-Paint
-Mod Podge 
-Roll or piece of cork

1. Paint the outside of your embroidery hoop. 2. Trace the inside of the inner hoop onto a piece of foam board, and onto a piece of thin cork. Cut out both. 3. Apply a liberal amount of Mod Podge to the foam board, and glue it to the piece of cork. Make sure to apply a lot around the edges, and to match the pieces up correctly. You may want to place a couple of heavy things (books, weights, etc.) on top until it dries. 4. Place the foam/cork piece into the inner hoop, making sure it's flush with the edges. On the back side, use hot glue to secure it in place. 5. Place your fabric over the new cork board. Slide the outer hoop over the fabric and inner hoop. Pull the fabric tight around the edges, and screw the outer hoop until the fabric stays tight. 6. Cut the edges, leaving about two or three inches of fabric. Pull the fabric tightly to the back side, and hot glue in place. *Not going to lie; I just taped my fabric down in case I want to change it in the future. 




2 comments:

  1. love this! sooo cute :) visiting you from the etsy recycled artists team! great blog!

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...