May 25, 2012

DIY Fri: Easy Pom Pom Throw Pillow

 Hello again, all you cutie pies! I hope you're all ready for another easy and fun project. I was inspired to create this pom pom throw pillow after I thrifed two amazing, retro pillows last week. (They're the ones behind my round diy pillow pictured above.) I've been slowly trying to collect more pillows and throws to cover up my ugly, drab, black couch. I also thought it would be fun to try to create a round one to contrast the two square ones I already have. I'm happy to say I'm pretty excited with the final result! Not only does it add whimsical accent to the room, but it also took no time to whip up!

Materials:
-Fabric
-Hand Needle
-Paper
-Polyfill pillow stuffing
-Pom pom trim
-Ruler
-Scissors
-Sewing machine
-Straight pins
-Thread

1. Draw a circle template on a piece of paper. I just traced the biggest cooking pot I had in the house. Add 1/2" around the entire circle for seam allowance. Cut out your pattern. 2. Pin the paper pattern to your fabric, and cut out two pieces. 3. With a basting stitch, sew your pom pom trim to the right side of one of your circles, making sure it is 1/2" down from the edge, and pom poms facing inwards. 4. Place the two pieces of fabric right sides together. With a regular stitch length, sew your circles together at 1/2" seam allowance. Make sure to leave a 1" opening. Cut notches around the entire seam allowance, and then cut off the excess. 5. Turn your pillow right sides out, and stuff with your Polyfill. When done, stitch the opening closed. 6. Cut two pom poms out from your trim, one for each side, and sew them to the middle of your pillow with your hand needle. Sew both of them at the same time, pulling your thread tightly. Don't worry about sewing through the filling. 

Tip: I used a thin, silky fabric for my pillow, which was probably not the best choice. Because of its texture you can see the stuffing more. I would suggest using a cotton or heavier set fabric. I would also recommend pulling the stuffing apart before putting it in your pillow. 


3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! I love the retro style of all your couch pillows and the throw. So darling! Great blog!

    Hillery
    stopping by from Etsy Blog team

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun and simple DIY. Will have to add this one to my list of to dos!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...