January 13, 2012

DIY Fri: Easy Ear Muffs

These earmuffs are insanely easy to make, and can be customized in a variety of ways. Just imagine how perfect these would be with super fluffy, fuzzy fabric on the outside! I'd love to experiment a bunch with rosettes and ribbons, or even just plusher materials. I'm definitely making more of these, especially since I glued the ear pieces on these a little too high up.


Materials:
-Headband
-Fabric (one fleece, one other)
-Fabric Glue
-Sewing Machine
-Polyfil Stuffing
-Ruler


1. Cut out your fabric pieces. You will need one to cover the headband; it should be headband width x 2  + 1/4" for give +1/2" seam allowance. My headband was 1/2" wide, so I made my piece 1" + 3/4" wide (and very long.) You'll also need two circles that are about an inch bigger than your ears. I traced a wide mouthed cup for mine. 2. Sew your rectangle piece at 1/2" seam allowance, trim excess, and flip inside out. Then, slide over your headband. 3. Sew your two sets of circles, placing the right sides of fabric together. Leave an opening about 1/2". Notch the seam allowance, making sure not to cut through the thread; then cut off excess. 4. Flip inside out and press with an iron. 5. Stuff with a tiny bit of polyfil stuffing. 6. Place the circles onto the ends on the headband with the fleece towards the inside. Look in the mirror and measure their placement. Then glue the hole shut around and on to the headband. Move the stuffing around a bit to even out.



4 comments:

  1. Those are PRECIOUS! Love that you chose plaid.

    Marie @
    Lemondrop ViNtAge

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally cute. I need to try this, I'm sure it's going to get colder soon and my ears are always freezing! Your blog is too cute, I'm so glad I came across it, I love all of your diy projects. I'm following. Hope you can stop by my blog soon.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erica! I'm stopping by your blog right now ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...