December 30, 2011

DIY Fri: Vintage Inspired Velvet Bow Fascinator

I've been admiring vintage bow headbands for a while now. Unfortunately, I haven't been swift enough to snatch one up from Etsy before someone else has. I've even ventured out to local vintage stores in hopes of finding one of these fascinator treasures, until I finally came to the conclusion that I just had to make one myself. It was surprisingly easy! I used vintage/pre-loved items, but you can use new materials if you prefer.




Inspiration:



Materials:
-Velvet Fabric
-Hair Comb
-Ruler
-Pen
-Quick Drying Fabric Glue (I use Fabri-tac)
-Needle
-Thread

Cut three rectangles from your velvet fabric. One 4 inches wide by 12 inches long, one 4 inches wide by 16 inches long, and one 1.5 inches wide by 5 inches long. *These lengths can very if you like depending on your personal preference.


Take the 4 inch by 12 inch rectangle and mark a dot in the middle 1 inch up on both sides. Using the ruler connect the dot to the end corners.


Cut out the triangle on both sides. 


Take the 4 inch by 16 inch rectangle and fold the ends to meet at the middle. Glue the ends overlapping about half an inch to form a loop.  


Place the tubular piece on top of the pointy piece as shown above, making sure the overlapped glued part is on the bottom. When placement is perfect, add three dots of glue (two outer, one center) to secure the loop to the pointy piece.


Scrunch up the middle piece to form a bow, using tiny dots of glue to glue into place. Hold firmly until it has dried.  


Glue the smallest piece of fabric around the  bow and bottom


Hand stitch the hair comb to the center of the bow. 




5 comments:

  1. so beautiful! so glad I found your blog.. following you! return the favor? :D

    love, polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good idea!

    do you find that is sort of flops around though? (I was looking at velvet fabric for another project and wasn't struck by its stability.) maybe fabric stiffener or interfacing?

    xo
    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, the velvet fabric is kind of floppy, but also a bit stiffer than regular fabric because of the pile it has to create the velvet effect. I like this floppy look though, and interfacing would probably do the trick. I don't think I would use fabric stiffener because I've used it on wearable things before and it has been rained on (i live in Seattle..) and then it isn't stiff anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, good point about the rain. (I just moved to Vancouver, where rain seems to be a prominent weather feature.)

    I'm definitely going to try this! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! I'm going to make one for myself :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...