October 08, 2011

Pumpkin Bunt Cake

I have been craving pumpkin flavored food since last month, and have finally made my first autumn treat! I wanted to do something different from the traditional pumpkin pie so, I decided to make a pumpkin bunt cake with chocolate icing. I'm a vegan so I modified this pumpkin bunt cake found on food.com to created my cake, and came up with my own icing recipe. I would just like to say this came out way better than expected! It looks like a huge doughnut and tastes like heaven. I've already eaten so much, and my boyfriend is now trying to keep me away (thankfully)! My recipe is below if you'd like to make your own.


Ingredients:
3 Cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 "eggs" (I use egg replacer)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 12oz can of pumpkin
1 cup oil

Icing:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 tablespoons vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a bunt pan with oil or cooking spray to prevent the cake sticking.
3. In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices together.
4. In another large bowl beat the eggs, or equivalent of egg replacer, until foamy. Stir in the sugar until the mixture is creamy. Then, stir in the oil and pumpkin until it's smooth.
5. Blend the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture, making sure it is mixed thoroughly.
6. Pour the batter into the bunt pan and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour. To test if it is done, a toothpick should come out clean when inserted in the middle fo the cake.
7. Cool for at least 30 minutes before taking the cake out of the pan.
8. When cool, spread the icing on top.

Icing:
1. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa together.
2. Slowly add the wet ingredients while stirring.
3. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to make it a bit firmer for spreading.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm! That looks so good! I think I will try the vegan kind. Do you know what I can do to make it gluten free? I may want to take this to a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful and definitely in the spirit of the season! I will be passing this along to my mother-in-law in hopes that her master baking skills will make my tummy oh-so-happy!


    Tiffany @ Lotus Bath and Body
    http://www.lotusbathandbody.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'aime, to make it gluten free you can try like spelt flour, or any other type of flour that doesn't have wheat in it... probably found at Whole Food or a local co-op!

    Tiffany, I'm telling you, this cake is sooo addictive! Watch out ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...