October 14, 2011

DIY Fri: Vegan Witch Finger Cookies


While looking for some holiday baking recipes,  I kept coming across witch finger cookies. I've been wanting to be more festive lately, also I just have a huge sweet tooth, and decided to try it out. I modified this recipe I found over at ohyeahthatveganshit and have listed my version below.


1 cup Earth Balance margarine spread
1 cup powdered sugar
1.5 teaspoons Ener G Egg replacer mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Green food dye (optional if you want green fingers)

Directions:
-In a mixing bowl beat together the margarine, powdered sugar, Ener G egg replacer, almond and vanilla extract. Then beat in the flour, baking powder, and salt.*Add the dye as well while mixing if you want green fingers. Cover and refrigerate or 30 minutes.
-Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Take a quarter of dough at a time from the refrigerator. *This is very important because it will make your dough soggy and the cookies too puffy if you take it all out while making the finger shape. I learned the hard way.* Take about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll it into the shape of a finger. I would suggest making them very thin because they plump up. Press to form knuckles and use a knife to score it. Press an almond into the dough where you want the witched nail to be.
-Place the fingers on a lightly greased baking tray. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Let the cookies cool for a couple of minutes.
-To stick the almond to the finger you can either use a dab colored food gel, or go by the way of me and make an icing. I used a dab of my chocolate icing recipe from my pumpkin bunt cake instead. What's left over I'm going to use as dipping icing =)
-Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Nails freshly applied. 

I'll eat you my pretty! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Those are awesome! Good job:)

    Love,
    Stephanie May*

    http://www.maydae.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING but I shall never try them 'cause they freaking me out pretty damn badly haha! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came our pretty well.. and the chocolate icing was perfect for dipping them into!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha way cute. This makes me excited for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for Halloween too, Tara. I would definitely make these again, but really want to try another Halloween treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...